Sunday, January 23, 2011

Fast Foods Have Become Bigger, Stronger, and Smarter.






McDonald’s was my favorite place. As a child, I considered it to be a fun land because of the grand playhouse that was visible through its glass walls. Those red cardboard happy meal boxes never gave a slight disappointment because I always found a free collectible toy in every container. For a child, going to McDonald’s was a treat. My father would only reward me a trip there if I had received good marks on my report card. However, the salty French fries were my favorite to scoff down my throat, and the hamburger will usually be left untouched and my coca cola drink will be left half-empty. Fast food was not an issue in the past since I was only in it for the collectible toys and French fries. My grandmother had always served homemade meals daily, so eating healthy was not much of a concern.
As we grow older, we become prone to laziness so we no longer choose to make our own healthy choices. Instead, we will rather make a quick drive through any fast food restaurant and eat a meal that will suffice. After entering college, I have relied myself more to fast food. It is quite embarrassing enough to say that I almost eat it everyday. A perfect warm glazed donut with a tall hot white chocolate macchiato to get through the morning, some sweet mandarin chicken entrée to get though the afternoon, and a juicy carne asada burrito to finish the night. Nevertheless, I have come to my senses to change these habits. After giving myself a few hours each day to make my own meals, I rarely feel the urge to eat out. By taking the time to make small snacks during the day is helpful too. Not only does it feel fulfilling for a short time, it also helps save a few dollars everyday. Exercising is another helpful way to balance a better routine. Rather than taking the time to go to a gym and spend an amount full of money, a quick jog around the neighborhood is simpler to do every morning.
It is hard to ignore these fast food restaurants when they are seen daily in advertisements. Outdoors, they are seen on almost every block and in shopping areas like the mall. Not only do they attack the minds of kids with their fun houses and toys, they also appeal late night viewers. They offer promotions like the dollar menu, five-dollar meals, and limited time games like monopoly. Furthermore, most of them are open for twenty-four hours, which is very tempting to late night workers. They even attract those who watch their health and weight with their ‘nutrition menus.’ In this new era, fast foods have become bigger, stronger, and smarter. 


11 comments:

  1. That is such a cute fast food pic of the lil people..but your right we do see a bunch of advertisments every where..we cant escape it..

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's actually the mcdonalds game from addictinggames.com lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your statement that as we grow older we are prone to laziness. I would like to think that that is not the case, and we just have too much going on the older we get. But yes, if I’m honest, I eat fast food because I don’t want to take the time to fix my own meal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with the first person who commented about advertisements being every where. But thats just the thing, fast food places just want the money. As long as they get what they want they can give us whatever they want and make it sound, look, and smell good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds like a pretty good breakfast. But at least you're working off your fast food with your neighborhood jogging.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree. Their advertisements are everywhere, no matter where you look.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love french fries too. You are right, is hard to ignore fast food restaurants,is like they are calling your name ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know when i am hungry and I see so many different advertisements, I want to go and order something. Usually I look away and say no to myself and tell myself i have food at home.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree it is hard when you see signs for fast food everywhere. I do find that working out does give you that extrs strength to say no.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ahhhhhhh french fries are such a guilty pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Roi: It is a good and an unhealthy kind of breakfast! But I can't miss the most important meal of the day!

    @Ronnie: I totally agree with your statement, but cooking is fun! If you have the time of day, that is..

    @Alex: Most definitely! Too bad it all goes to my thighs, so I try my best to avoid it. Haha

    I appreciate all the comments! :) We need to find ways to avoid such advertisements, like maybe flip the channel, turn the television off, or close our eyes. :P

    ReplyDelete