Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Why Don’t We Just Turn Off that Phone and Give it a Short Rest

Billions of text messages are sent each month. I should know this because my younger sister is one of these victims. Her messages alone are over ten thousand a month, with most of her messages containing single or double letters like ‘hi,’ or ‘k.’ Her text messages are more than my own and my parents’ text messaging count combined! I am so glad that we have an unlimited text messaging plan!
I agree that there are several great pros to texting. They allow us to keep up with the latest information, and give us the ability to stay in touch when we are unable to talk. Although I do not enjoy texting often, texting has given me the benefit to have more control over my conversations. Since there are a few friends and relatives that I prefer avoiding to talk on the phone to, quick text messages suffice. I also have the ability to think about how I want to respond to some of the text message, and this helps prevent small misunderstandings and fights.
Texting is also a great way to flirt with someone new. Flirting over text builds the excitement and attraction that may later build a stronger relationship. It kind of brings back the elementary game of passing notes. In addition, texting can be a great way to hide certain feelings; especially to someone I may have just met. Since I am the type of person who can get quite nervous and fidget, a simple text message will not express this and hint the person. Instead they can just assume that I am attracted to them in the same way that they might be to me and we can work on getting to know a little more about one another without dealing with nervous laughter and stupid jokes to break the ice.
Since texting is a norm to most teens and younger generation, we must start learning how to limit ourselves. Texting can become quite a distraction to others, and we often can become addicted. We may become addicted to the point where we become unaware of our surroundings and cause certain accidents. It is better to sooner identify this obsession so we may end this habit by turning off our phones and taking a little break.

9 comments:

  1. I agree with you, and I loved your captions. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn! ten thousand! that's a lot of texting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. its the truth about hiding the emotions!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @steven padilla: oh, i totally agree!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha i agree especially the passing notes comparison.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "texting is also a great way to flirt with someone new. Flirting over text builds the excitement and attraction that may later build a stronger relationship. It kind of brings back the elementary game of passing notes. In addition, texting can be a great way to hide certain feelings; especially to someone I may have just met. Since I am the type of person who can get quite nervous and fidget, a simple text message will not express this and hint the person. Instead they can just assume that I am attracted to them in the same way that they might be to me and we can work on getting to know a little more about one another without dealing with nervous laughter and stupid jokes to break the ice."

    I agree with this paragraph SO MUCH.

    ReplyDelete
  7. With the mention of your sister having messages with 2 letters, it bugs me a little when I receive them. I get an "ok" from my dad a lot, and I agree, so happy for unlimited texting.

    ReplyDelete