Thursday, May 5, 2011

Hungry For Some Salsa?

 


One of my fondest memories was trying salsa dancing. A friend had asked me to join along with a few of his friends. When the idea was first brought to mind, I thought of a classroom with an instructor teaching a dance session. Instead, I was brought to a place that was similar to a club. However, this club had an actual band playing rather than a Dj with mixed records blasting through enormous speakers. It was more lively and bright, unlike a typical nightclub. Also, most of the people there were of all ages and were very friendly. This club also had a bar, pool tables, and a saddle for a disco light, which I particularly remember because it was quite odd but interesting.

On the dance floor stood a man which I believed was the instructor for he carried a microphone that hung around his ear. For each step he lead and explained, his partner and other dancers followed. For a moment, my friends and I just found ourselves watching until one of them decided to enter the dance floor. Soon, everyone else followed along and began learning the steps one by one.

As a past dancer, I learned the moves fairly quickly. It was a lot easier than I had expected. Previously watching Dancing with the Stars, I thought the beginners class was already going to be intense! After the lecture was over, the band just continued to play for everyone to enjoy. I guess it is expected since it was a club after all. But I didn't expect to have so much fun dancing smoothly to music in a different style and to music I couldn't quite understand. I must say that that day was a pretty awesome experience!

5 comments:

  1. It sounds very awesome indeed. Glad to hear you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. your title made me think of food.. haha! but thats really cool! salsa looks fun to do

    ReplyDelete
  3. I give my "blog props" to you. Your titles, pictures, and posts all kept me interested throughout the semester. One, in particular, stuck out to me. ("New Pairs of Shoes") Maybe because it was something I could relate to. At any rate, you did a fine job with your blog. I wish you the best of luck to you in all your future endeavors. OH, and keep on dancing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Salsa dancing sounds like a wonderful thing to do in your spare time.

    ReplyDelete